For some people, moving somewhere new can be just what is needed. It may be for a new job, new adventures, new experiences, fresh starts, and a clean slate. You may move for work, study, love, or other reasons, but is it all that it is cracked up to be? Moving can be a nightmare in a number of ways; it pushes you way out of your comfort zone, moves you away from family and friends, and can generally be a confusing and anxious time, especially if you are someone who likes to be in control.
The experience that you have does depend on different wishes or expectations that you may have. If you are making the move for happy reasons, such as to live with a partner, going to study, or moving for work, then it can put you in a different mindset than if you are moving somewhere new because of a bad breakup or because you can no longer afford where you live. No matter the reasons or expectations, it can be a step that changes your life, so it is best to be prepared. So, if you are thinking about moving to a new town or city, then make sure that you think about all of the advantages and disadvantages of the relocation first. Then you can be sure that you’re making the right decision for you.
Cons of moving
- It can push you out of your comfort zone, which as the name suggests, can be pretty uncomfortable. Everything will be new, and you need to be prepared to ask for help, ask questions, and be pushed out of your normal routine.
- You’ll be moving away from the friends and family that are so close by at the moment. That doesn’t mean those relationships are no longer, but there will just be the more physical distance between you.
- There are some additional costs when you’re moving house. You may have to pay two month’s rent upfront if you’re renting, before getting any other deposits back. You might have to pay to move large and bulky items of furniture or other items, but the good news there is that you can compare costs to find the quote that suits your budget the best. You could also face new costs like additional council tax fees or commuting costs just because of the new location.
Benefits of moving
- When you move somewhere new you can have a fresh start. If you want to make new friends and look for a new relationship, away from people who know you, then it can be the chance to do just that.
- There is time for many new things. You could have a new job, make new friends, go to new places, and try some new experiences. A change of scenery can be much needed sometimes, and the old saying goes that a change is as good as a rest.
- As a result of all of the new things that you will be doing, and really pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, you have plenty of opportunity for personal growth.
This is a collaborative post.